31st July 2012 at Dorothea's
Present Tony, Jeremy, Dorothea, Barbara, Pat, Clare, Janice
Apologies Adrianna, Gemma
Re-evaluation counselling session
Clare good idea separate group to meet and report back
People’s sustainability manifesto
add to the agenda so that it is circulated for the next meeting
- Pat declined space in market not appropriate.
- We are certainly still looking for premise. This is a standing item It was agreed to make inquiries about properties available in the city centre, Clare to take initiative.
Tony had been in Bristol and looked at the Car Club there. What you have to do is build up a net work. Use our email list see if there is demand for a car sharing process. There area number of models such as not for profit company that people pay into for hours of use.
Jeremy circulated an article that appeared in the Guardian newspaper written by the environmental written George Mombiot arguing that new discoveries and methods of extraction meant that it was no longer valid to argue that we had reached peak oil. He also circulated another Guardian article showing the extent of ice melt in Greenland during the summer had accelerated.
Tony pointed out that the Mombiot article did not invalidate the peak oil arguments – clearly we could no longer argue that it would run out, the agreement had to be more subtle: that we need to keep 4/5ths of the oil in the ground, if we are to survive. There has to be pressure put on the oil companies. The economic system gambles on the future of oil there are shale’s in America. The argument is global movement to put pressure on the companies to keep oil in the ground Transition dies not yet feel that we are addressing this kind of issue. There is a crisis in global warming with unprecedented raised awareness because of the rains this year. Clare –
Great that we have national debates in the press. The principle is still there the environmental costs keep going up. There is a national responsibility off the movement to make people aware.
Janice talking about car sharing
We have an event in September questions of how you involve the public in the meeting. Answer in town stalls increasing awareness
Report from Education Group
Discussions every 4th Thursday of the month clash with another event and the date might be changed. Suggestions for discussions in Sept/Oct/ Nov.
- Money is the problem, what are the alternatives?
- The sustainable family
- Transition the perfect remedy to capitalism
12 responses about recycling . No idea of hoops to go through. Council no plans to set up food recycling. Glass recycling Mutley / Greenbank not enough interest to spread. There’s another meeting in September focused on Devonport tower blocks
Establish again in freedom Fields? – problem nowhere to store equipment
Report back from Events
- Vegan meal – went well 17 people
- Michael Holt- Lots of songs and Transition discussions
- Charles Eisenstien – Packed meeting in Totnes on new book Sacred Economics
- Energy from waste wood, Belliver Industrial Estate– gasifying it can use chipboard, kitchen units etc
- Cllr Pemberthy –Coop portfolio holder responded to letter with invitation to a meeting with other community groups. We agree that Clare will draft a letter to him about on-going issues e.g. working with us on community ventures and supporting us in applying for reduced rates.
- Stert Quarry Farm Visit – went well next visit in the Autumn
Events coming up
- Jeremy’s Green Fascism talk 12TH Sept
- Film showing early October
- Social Event at Clare’s house. Open to all Transitions members, but please let Clare know in advance. Meeting at 5.30 for meal at 6.00 (times to be confirmed)
- Healthy Ethical parenting event suggested by Adrianna, deferred for discussion at a future date. Tony this is a very contentious subject with at least 20 different models of raising young to adulthood.
21st AUGUST Tony’s since cancelled
Following meeting date 11th Sept. 2012 at Adriana's, 5.00 for 5.30.
2nd July 2012
Present: Adriana, Barbara, Clare, Dorothea, Gemma, Janice, Jeremy, Pat, Tony.
Facilitator: collective - Clare, Pat, Tony
Mini RC sessions – everyone in the group shared their feelings.
Adriana explained that the idea of a TP ethos has been around in TP for more than a year, and this time she shared a TP ethos draft with the planning group via email.The group spent some time discussing the wording of this proposal, e.g. meanings and differences between exploitation, oppression, Just Transition, etc.
There were modifications to the document but it was decided a working group would be formed to improve this proposal and once it's done it will be forward to the planning group for comments/suggestions, etc and consensus (1)
The Ethos working group is Gemma, Janice, Pat, Tony and Adriana.
Move from 171 & new venues
People feel we made good use of 171 while we were there; other groups were able to use it as well and it helped everyone to see how a community space can be well shared and used.
Adriana has applied to the Roland Levinsky building to use it on a regular basis. Our case has been forwarded to the Sustainability Executive Group and we are waiting for their response.
Also Pat is still in touch with the rental agency to see if there's the chance of a deal with Healthy Planet and the owners of 171, or any other building close by. Adriana also mentioned that the “Save the Cooperage” group are thinking g of opening their project (to reclaim the old pub for community events) to art and environmental groups. She's waiting for a response to that.
Clare will also research our possibilities as a community group of obtaining a venue through other channels, and she will inform the group via email.
“Emergency/Special meetings” can be called if necessary.
Letter to Mr Pemberthy
Clare delivered a letter that had been reviewed by planning group, by hand to the new Counsellor Pemberthy to look into the possibilities of working co-operatively for the community of Plymouth, and asking him if he could provide us with new premises. We're still waiting for a reply.
There have been several complains (within and outside fb) about the language of the debates on this page. These have ranged from judgemental comments to insults. Some of the group would like to see some measures taken to make the Facebook page into a forum that’s more “emotionally safe” for everyone.
Dorothea doesn't think there's a problem, she thinks it’s just people's way of debating.
Barbara also thinks this is how some young people communicate nowadays.
The group discussed at some length the limits of an appropriate form of language for a forum like Transition, and the group's responsibility for demonstrating a model for new generations. There must be a better way of making a bigger statement of what transition is about.
There was a general feeling that this situation was also damaging TP's public image especially to newcomers, and that a set of procedures for dealing with disruptive behaviour on TP facebook is needed.
Gemma suggested the method other fb pages use for this problem, which is:
- a private message of warning is given by the moderator
- a public warning by the moderator
- the individual is taken off the page by admin
Dorothea agreed to implement these measures. It was also suggested that another fb moderator should support Dorothea. It was agreed that Gemma would do it.
Dorothea also informed the group that she had created a TP facebook “info” page and that everyone who is already in the TP fb can have access to it, to publicise information related to Transition.
The Education group had asked Barbara about having their own page with control over it, as they have a increasing amount of info they want to share with the public without the necessity of giving all of the burden to Barbara. Barbara explained she and Gemma have talked about this issue, and that Gemma is going to set up a new TP website with a program (drupal) that will allow all the TP groups have their own page with control over it. /p>
Barbara asked for the education group to consider how their items such as links and events would be assimilated into the main website.
The group thanked Barbara for the excellent work she has made of the new TP leaflet – in colour. The leaflet was used for the first time at the TP stall at the Freedom Fields festival and soon ran out.
It was agreed that if anyone has further suggestions for the leaflet, these should be made within a week of this meeting as Barbara has done a lot of work on this and she's not sure she has energy for any more big changes now.
The group took into consideration that there are going to be more stalls during the year, so a huge printing will be the most cost-effective way. Tony knows of a place where the group can print a massive quantity in colour at the cheap price of 10p each. So a week after this meeting, Barbara will email Tony the leaflet template and the printing will be carried out.
Feedback from past TP events
TP discussion on Eco-feminism – it was in general very good.
There was a lot of interest in the document that triggered the discussion (Latinamerican Community Feminism) and enough interest to set up a discussion group specifically on Eco-feminism.
There's no clear idea yet whether this discussion group will be part of TP or be independent of it.
There will be no Transition Discussion in July or August.
It was also emphasized that TP Discussions have a specific format which is different from a talks, workshop or presentation. The Education group is more than happy to offer support to individual initiatives – with publicity, etc.
Up-coming events and initiatives
Tar Sands/Transition stall
Adriana explained that we have obtained permission from the Council to hold 2 information stalls in the city centre this year: on Saturday 21st July and Wednesday 15th September, from 11am to 4pm. Adriana and Janice (and anyone else interested) will be holding these, and they'll need leaflets from all the TP groups and any other relevant info for those dates.
Michael Holt musical tour – Pat has booked the show for Wednesday 11th July , 6:30 pm, in Freedom Fields café, with the participation of Steph Bradley, the Transition Totnes storyteller :)
Berty's talk and supper
Saturday 7th July, 5:30pm. Berty repeats his presentation on "Healthy Diet, Healthy Future" at people's request!
TP Repair café
Barbara will speak to Jonathan Spurling, from Freedom Fields café, to see whether it's possible to arrange a TP repair cafe there.
There is the possibility to link it to the “RUBBISH group”
Pat has suggested the creation of a group that tackles different kinds of waste. This initiative has not been publicly announced yet and needs participants, so far Pat, Barbara and Janice. It might be able to work in partnership with the Repair cafe – with “waste food”, clothing, etcAlso a “waste food” public meal, made out of food that was going to be wasted.
Financial reports - Janice said it's a bit difficult for her to update us on TP's financial situations since it's Colin who really manage that issue. It would be good if Colin could consider coming back to the planning group – for finances.
Lush application - Adriana reminded the group that there was a consensus to apply to Lush for some funding. She already has the application and will pursue the case, but slowly as her time is likely to be more limited in July.
Tony will look into it.
TUESDAY 31st JULY, at 5pm to start 5:30pm, at Dorothea's house.
The meeting following that, will tentatively be on 21st August but will seek confirmation of whether Janice can make it, and will be at Tony’s house.
(1) Transition Plymouth Ethos - draft
At Transition Plymouth we seek a Just Transition and we believe that social justice is part of it.
We seek to leave behind all forms of oppression, domination, exploitation, and discrimination, including, but not limited to, patriarchy, racism, homophobia and religious fundamentalism of all creeds.
We embrace the full dignity of all human beings and the dignity and compassion towards non-human animals.
We embrace an organisational philosophy based on decentralisation and autonomy.
We use consensus decision-making as a way to achieve the above.
Monday 11 June, 5.30 pm, 171 Armada Way
Clare, Gemma, Pat, Adriana, Jeremy, Barbara. Apologies, Janice (phone message left)
Future without 171
- Remaining desks due to be picked up at 11.30 tomorrow. (Going for student let for a donation).
- Books. Adriana will contact charity shops. Deadline for being taken, Thursday evening. Someone will call Adriana re St John's volunteer-run library for patients at Derriford Hospital. Whatever is remaining on Saturday will be taken to Oxfam. Possibility 'Book Fair' on Saturday
- Tim will collect tables and chairs to take to Devonport Guildhall on Sunday 1 pm. Adriana will contact Josie about use of her van. Strong volunteers (Tim, Jeremy, Pat, Berty) and car drivers (Janice and Sarah) needed. Agreed to give £5 donation towards petrol where needed.
- Square table still spare, possibly store. We will store the heaters at home if not needed by HP.
- DCFA have offered free storage at the Ship. We need to organise when and how to take things (Pat?).
- Tony's friend will collect photocopier at the weekend
- Dorothea will collect toys
- U:1 will contact Pat about installations. She is to ask if we can use windmills at future events.
- Pat will call HP about bookcases and document the call. If not to be sent back they could be taken by individuals (Barbara could take several).
- Barbara has taken most of the stationery items. She will make up a TP pack for use at stalls/meetings.
- Keys to be given to Pat on or before Sunday
- All communications about move to be sent to all members of planning group (apart from Tony who's away).
Contacting the Council
We discussed contacting the council, saying who we are, what we have achieved so far, what we need and seeing if there are possibilities of working in partnership. We could see their response to the TP ethos, and how it fits in with their ideas. Pat did not think we should mention a need for premises. There was concern about linking with a council that supported incineration and nuclear submarine dismantling. It was agreed that Clare would write a draft to be circulated.
Adriana has applied to the Roland Levinsky building, but they are not aware that we need a regular booking. She will contact them again.
Barbara said tha RL would not be suitable for the repair cafe. It was agreed that she contact Jonathan about using the Freedom Fields cafe. Alternatives - the basement at the Fortesque (available for charities Tuesday and Thursday evenings) or the Mutley Crown. Check access/inclusion.
Gemma suggested a soldering workshop. We can look into this when we have a new venue for the cafe.
There have been complaints about content on Facebook, with people feeling insulted, unsafe or threatened. It was discussed whether it should be moderated, with warnings given, or personal attacks taken off. Barbara thought that Facebook was valuable to TP, enabling information and ideas to be easily shared, and attracting different people and that Dorothea did well keeping it upbeat and answering postings positively. She believed that all the confrontations had stemmed form vegans trying to impose restrictions. Adriana will contact Dorothea to see if she needs support.
Adriana read out a request from the education group that they had their own space on the website. Barbara said that at the moment the only way to do this would be if they had the same softwear, or a link to a separate site, which they would have to maintain. Gemma spoke about search engine optimisation and open source systems. Barbara and Gemma will set up a meeting to explore what can be done.
- Seeds for Change Workshop, Charlie and Geoff had not found this useful
- Transition 2 film. Was enjoyable and useful. It was thought that we could show it again.
- Veganism and the environment discussion. Had been lively and polite. Pat thought it had offered her a personal education. It attracted some different people to the previous vegan talk.
Follow up building talk
Jeremy and Barbara would like to do a follow up building talk or talks, when they have time to organise.
Tar sands stall
Date set for June will have to be changed due to clash with Freedom Fields Festival. Adrian is dealing with the paperwork. There will be a second stall in September.
Adriana will need leaflets for 23 June for the stall at Freedom Fields. Each working group to provide around 50 plus any other related leaflets. Adriana will forward text from the old Transition Plymouth leaflet and Barbara will do a new layout. Pat will help transport the gazebo with a trolley at 10am.
Michael Holt - 11 July
People can bring food to share. He needs an amp. Both Gemma and Adrian have one. Adrian will e-mail him the details to find which is the most suitable. Pat will enquire about having the Freedom Fields cafe as a venue (with the Fortesque as an alternative)
The social on 15th has been cancelled. We will celebrate at a picnic at the Freedom Fields Festival, 4 pm, Sunday 24 June instead.
If successful we will have another picnic at Mount Edgecumbe in July.
Barbara has contacted Hannah, Jeremy will speak with her again.
Barbara has spoken to the organiser, who will contact her when he had further details.
All Ways Apples/Whitleigh
The education group is onsidering. Adriana is checking out the possibility of pedal power.
Green Facism talk
Jeremy is sorting out a talk and discussion on green facism - starting with an historical look at the green movement and its association with facism.
Efford Community Partnership
The group would like to meet up with them. Barbara will contact Kim.
Not discussed - TP ethos
Monday 2 July, 5 for 5.30 pm. Venue?
Monday 14th May
Barbara, Janice, Pat, Clare, Adriana
Clare for being late,Tony via email after the meeting
3 minutes each
Feedback from Past events
Sustainable Housing presentation
Some members of the PG attended. It was interesting as it went through the history of housing. Discussion between responsibility vs irresponsibility on housekeeping/maintenance. Reflections about how we deal with openness in discussions. It would be good and important to have a second part on Sustainable Housing to keep exploring this issue.
Transition Discussions: Petrol £5 a litre – how would you cope with that?
Very good discussion. Some think it has been the best discussion we have seen in Transition. Everyone had an opportunity to speak yet there was a constant debate. A very light “moderation” seemed to be a successful tool.
Berty's Talk: Healthy Diet, Healthy planet
It was a varied informative talk and film. It was very gentle and non-confrontational.
Pat attended the last one. There were about 8 people, different short films and food. The group has bought the “Transition Film #2” and it would be good to show it on a Movie Monday. Pat will contact Tim to arrange this, with 28th May as a suggested date.
Efficient Communication – Seeds for Change workshop
People felt that as very good. Perhaps a bit similar to a past facilitation workshop in some aspects.
171 Shop opening times
The group wanted to know how the opening times were going. Pat and Adriana are opening Saturdays and Mondays and so far they almost always have people popping in. It was mentioned it would be good to have something near the door that attracts the attention from the public e.g. colourful posters, the books for free stall, etc.
Tony wasn't at the meeting so we couldn't discuss this.
Colin has left the Planning group, so now Janice will report on Finances. Pat gave £10 for Colebooks funeral and £10 for food at Berty's talk. Adriana gave £30 for transport for Seeds for Change workshop.
The future of 171
Pat, Barbara and Jeremy visited the venue #167 as a possibility for Transition's premises. Adriana and Pat will ask Statton Crebber (the agency that represents the 171 owners) on Tuesday about responses and possibilities.
Transition/Tar Sands stall
Adriana will email the council and arrange dates with Janice to hold the stall.
Michael Holt - artist tour
Pat replied to Michael Holt and he's happy to come to play at 171. He will get back to Pat with dates.
Adriana volunteered to organize the anniversary, with the support of Barbara.
Freedom Fields Festival, 8-9 June
There's no people to hold a stall during the weekend. Adriana could do Sunday only but there are less people then.
The Education group has been arranging a date for Tess Wilmot's presentation on “Permaculture Principles” and her dates available coincide with the festival. It would be good idea to do it then. Adriana will contact Tess to fix details and Clare volunteered to support her on the day.
There also could be a few leaflets on Transition in a indoor table at the Freedom Fields café.
Union Street Party
Barbara will contact Hannah for more info on this.
Devonport Park Community day, September
TP could have an info stall there. The group like the idea but need more info. Barbara will ask for more info.
All Ways Apple, Wednesday 23rd October – The group thought about how to participate. The ideal is that everything is related to apples – or pumpkins as it's close to “Halloween/Samhain” day. The Education group will discuss any other ideas about how to participate there.
it was in the agenda by Jeremy, but none of those present knew what it was about. Jeremy will be welcome to send info on this around.
It's an alternative to Incineration and it will be positive and important to spread the message on this as a positive way to deal with our opposition to incinerator. Adriana will ask Tess Wilmot for a presentation on this from herself or any other expert. The Education group will discuss the organisation.
Whitleigh summer festival
a community event, our participation would be related to food - There's the proposal that the group to make smoothies at this event. It would be better to be able to do it with pedal power. Adriana willing to research if it's possible. Barbara will email them to find more information about the festival and our participation.
TP Repair café
Barbara and Adriana are willing to support this initiative: a place of DIY repairing things; it can start with textiles on Monday 28th May and keep running it every Monday except Bank Holidays.
Vegan/veggie alternatives in restaurants – a proposal that came through the Facebook page and people would like to take it ahead. Discussion on how to do this. A Green Guide (on website) would be good. The food group has started to gather information on this but Pat will be happy to visit each one of the possible places and try their menus(!)
Monday 11th June and Monday 2nd July - 5pm to start 5:30pm.
Monday 23 April 5.30 pm
Adriana, Pat, Jeremy, Tony, Barbara
The meeting started with 'connection time' going round the table with each person saying how they were feeling.
Contingency plan for 171
Pat had met with Stratton Creber and she felt positive that we would be allowed to stay on at 171. She showed a list of empty properties that they had provided. Healthy Planet have circulated an e-mail saying that they are happy for us to stay on with a different landlord. Jeremy was concerned about storage if we had to move. Most of our furniture is on loan from Devonport Guildhall so wil be returned. It is thought that Healthy Planet would collect the Books for Free furniture and books.
Pat agreed to take a floral tribute to Michael Colebrook's funeral, as he has done a lot for Transition Plymouth. There was a minute's silence
Jeremiah's Journey had asked about use of 171. They also have another property to consider.
Climate Caravan Campaign for a million green jobs
CC is a trade union sub group. There will be 3 people travelling from Oxford who will need overnight accommodation. Tony was concerned as it is the day of the Lord Mayor's procession and Olympic Torch event that it might not encourage enough people to make it worthwhile. Jeremy was supportive and thought that a meeting/ presentation/ Climate Council meeting/ social would be a good format if we were savvy about the timings to correspond with the other events. He could also hand out leaflets inviting people to the meeting. Adriana did not want to commit as climate change groups usually more activist and outside the scope of TP.
Action - Tony to inform them of the situation and what we can supply and will e-mail round the answer
Publicity stunt if tanker drivers strike
It was thought that drivers queueing for petrol would be a receptive audience for a flyer asking 'Have you considered peak oil and climate change?'We need to be prepared for this
Action - Jeremy will write a leaflet.
Next TP events
Wednesday's talk - Jeremy is happy for the publicity for his talk on housing.
Barbara asked if a poster of events could be put up inside as well as outside for easier reference.
Pat will contact the press about the events.
Thursday's talk -Adriana will e-mail posters for display
Movie Mondays Starting 7 May (Bank Holiday)
Pat will buy a dvd of Transition 2, now just £12.99
Possible Future Events
- Freedom Field Festival 9 and 10 June. It would be possible to have a stall. Pat will contact Jonathan.
- Union Street Festival Jeremy will talk to Hannah
- Devonport Park, September. We could have a stall
- All Ways Apples Wednesday 31 October. The Food Group will be there but it would be possible for there to be a general TP presence also.
Tar Stands Stall
Janice and Adriana are to have a stall in the city centre. There has been no feedback to the enquiry about this. Tony suggested sending an e-mail with a date and place specified. Adriana will discuss it with Janice, conact Tar Sands and ask at the Civic Centre.
How many absences to planning meetings should we tolerate? Doesn't regular attendance show commitment therefor the right to influence decisions?
It was agreed that in order to be inclusive and supportive we sould have minimal formality about this.
Can we reduce them to one a week? It was said that too many e-mails puts people off reading them. Adriana and Pat think carefully before sending out the e-mails. Generally it was felt that we do not burden people with too many. We cannot please everyone. It was suggested to put the details into the subject so people can choose what they open. Adriana suggested it might be better if we didn't.
Adriana has proposed a forum. It was pointed out that the Transition Network has a national forum. Barbara has been to media meetings that will help with this. She will e-mail details to Adriana
He has approached us about doing a Transition themed performance, possible in a private house, or at 171. Details are on the Transition Network. Jeremy thought that we would be putting energy into something that would only reach a small audience. Adriana will contact him about what we can offer
Berty want to provide refreshments and it was agreed that he be given £10 to cover this.
April 2nd 2012
Present: Janice, Jeremy, Pat, Tony, Adriana
Facilitation: collective Notes-taker: Adriana
Adriana received a phone call from Transition Network asking how they can help us.
It felt like good news to know about their offer because so far, apart from Ben Bragywn, we haven't felt much support from them.
The group would welcome any help with workshops on communication,publicity and outreach.
There was a conversation about the perception some of us started to have about the network. There might be some kind of disconnection with the way the network try to reach groups. There were reflections about the social aspect of it, with the differences between Plymouth and Totnes and how that may play a vital role in this disconnection.
It was agreed that it would be important to share out thoughts with them.
Adriana will write a draft email for them, Tony will spell-check and it will be shared with the whole planning group before being sent.
The group explored the pros and cons of TP's outreach. There is still the feeling we don't achieve the attention from Plymouthians we're seeking. Attendance to our events is still low – sometimes too low.
The group doesn't want to be over-concerned about it, we know it's difficult, but it's an issue that might need some attention. Every event needs a good amount of publicity: from leaflets, to posters and a press release; leafleting in the street and emails& reminders on time. It seems sometimes there might not be the capacity in the planning group or working groups to do all that.
We need to use all the channels to reach people better. Events should be announced in Green events and TP facebook. Tony said he can set up a TP twitter. There was a conversation about TP facebook and there might be a lack of representation from the planning group there, as only 4 persons are part of it: Tony, Dorothea, Barbara and Colin. The rest of the group will reflect on whether they can also join the page in order to contribute more news, announcements and comments, increase the level of representation and give more public support to the initiative.
There were reflections about whether our events should constantly consider a two way exchange of information, rather than be mono-directional. There should be a framework for every theme.
Also very soon Jeremy will start the TP newsletter. Pat and Adriana report that at last one person turns up every time they open the shop and that seems positive.
Adriana thought that the Education group could discuss this issue too and perhaps find some suggestions.
It would be important to find some support from local radios and newspaper – although the Herald seem to acknowledge our announcements.
A PR person would also be very useful but also the capacity to “rebuild collectivism”, where actions do not depend on one or two persons only, but everyone feels a bit in charge.
Applying for new Funding
There was some confusion about this. Why are we asking for funding exactly? We don't have a specific need at the moment.
There were reflections that the applications usually take a long time so better try to apply now, rather than wait for an urgency?
Clare said she'll contact Lush to see about the possibility of asking for funding.
Adriana found a description from Lush about the projects they'd accept, which is: “We prioritise less popular causes that struggle to find funding and projects that aim to create long-term change (e.g. projects that influence opinion and behaviour through education, advocacy and campaigning) and those tackling the root cause of the problem. For more information please read the full guidelines attached with this application”
It seems most of the applications want specific issues too. The group might need to focus on this when applying.
Tony suggested to apply for a “What is Transition” educational project. This would include printing, stationery, educational material, venue,etc. General agreement on that.
Adriana will try to write a text for an application – although she wanted to state that she might be a bit slow as she already has a lot of work to do.
Pat explained that on the 24th June the contract between Healthy Planet and Barclay's ends. This leave us in the limbo about the venue. Some possible solutions: to consult with HP, to deal with the owners ourselves, to find a new abandoned venue, to pay a rent?
No decision on this – but we'll seek to stay in this venue. Pat will contact the agent and will email any relevant news.
Feedback from past events
Pat said Tim felt Tuesday film night every week was too much. So he wants to call the first Monday of every month Movie Mondays. Tony suggested Mondays are not the best day in the week for people to attend an event like this – there are other meetings happening.
Adriana reported that although it was a great presentation, the attendance was too low and it was very disappointing as the speakers travelled 6 hours by train to get here.
– also low attendance but an excellent conversation from the people who attended.
Renewable Energies conference
Janice attended and will email a report on that to the planning group.
Sustainable Housing, by Jeremy Guise
The date was changed as there was no publicity for that event. Now on 25th April.
Transition discussion - 26th April
Adriana invited everyone to attend the monthly discussions whenever possible. Tony apologize as there are meetings he needs to attend every Thursday.
Berty's talk about diet, "Healthy diet, Healthy future" April 28th
Seeds for Change workshop - Saturday 12th May
Adriana would like to encourage the planning group to attend this workshop as can help us to improve our work as transitioners – the trainers are good and are coming from Oxford.
Steph Bradley, Storytelling and Quest workshop at 171?
Everyone happy to receive that event. Pat will let Steph know.
Request: Plymouth Vegan Fayre
The Vegan fayre ask to use the 171 for the event this year, on Saturday 30th June. Everyone is happy to receive the event – but will have to be careful about our deadline with the venue.
CACC's National Climate Caravan
The group confirmed to Tony there is no problem with the caravan using the 171 venue as their central place on the 18th, 19th and 20th May.
The group also confirmed that “Operation Emotion” can use the 171 venue on Mondays, from 10am -4pm. (This is the group who are rehearsing a performance about men who have suffered abused)
There was a general agreement about them using the space.
Keeping the 171 diary up to date
Everyone is happy with that! Also to include as many details of every event as possible, for example whether it is a public event or not, so there are no more ashes about rooms, chairs, times, etc.
Taking forward the Tar Free City initiative
Clare emailed: “I contacted Amanda Bishop at the City Centre Company who is responsible for booking the outdoor spaces. I haven't had a reply to my query re whether not-for-profit community groups can book for free - charities do. How do people feel about running a stall? We do have 171 where we are making efforts to improve our visibility.” Jeremy said that the City Council should be able to have a positive response about that. As Clare is not present we couldn't discuss the issue. Janice and Adriana happy to run the stall – where there will be also info on Transition Plymouth.
Large OPEN sign for 171
There was a woman called Eve who offered this, but there's no further news on that.
Dates of future meetings
12th March 2012
Present: Claire, Barbara, Colin, Pat, Tony, Janice, and Jeremy (for part of the meeting)
Apologies: Adriana; Dorothea
Familiarisation: everyone had two minutes to “place” themselves and say how we are.
Domestics: Don’t leave the kitchen with the kettle on – it doesn’t turn off, leaving the kitchen in steam cloud and with potential burn‐out.
Facilitation: Colin; Notes: Tony
£416.23p in the Bank, with outstanding debts of £5.30. Colin is on a trip to China for the next 2 weeks, and passed the banking resources to Janice.
Additional Funding: no developments in the last month. A discussion took place about why we’re applying for funding, and what it is used for.
- Claire spoke of the need to bid for money for a specific project.
- Barbara suggested we should pay someone to open and work in the shop.
- Pat felt that we are a voluntary organisation and should not start paying people.
- Colin felt that any bid could be put forward if there are individuals who wish, as a sub‐set, to make bids for a project.
- Claire felt there’s a need for money for people to go to conferences – travel and registration.
- Jeremy questioned whether funding people to conferences made the group exclusive or “club‐like”, and asked that we organise presentations and hire local venues around Plymouth to run events on Peak Oil, Climate Change and the work of Transition, to involve the people of Plymouth. He would also like to see a quarterly newsletter from Transition Plymouth, with printing costs.
- Claire reminded the meeting of the carbon footprint of all resources we use, including copies of a newsletter. She suggested a “Suggestions Sheet” at Friday’s evening social event, and this was supported by all.
- Janice greatly appreciated the idea of a newsletter, advertising the Shop in particular.
- Barbara also supported a newsletter, with an eye to advertising events.
- Claire reminded the meeting that we have already agreed to produce a leaflet explaining Transition Plymouth. She didn’t want to see newsletter copies dumped in the bin.
- Barbara agreed to draft a template for a newsletter, for the next meeting. This was agreed.
- The issue of funding people to attend conferences was discussed at length. A process should ensure that those who are partially or totally funded should offer full report‐back to Planning Group.
- Pat reminded the group that grant bids take a significant amount of time – the Co‐op grant took 6 months beginning‐to‐end.
- Claire agreed to speak with Lush on potential funding (Barbara thought Adriana was already tasked to do this, and Claire agreed to co‐ordinate with Adriana). No‐one could think of any other fund‐holders.
- Colin suggested the role of the Planning Group is empowerment, and there is not a money problem about supporting initiatives at the moment.
- Claire suggested we need to fund events properly in order to build an understanding of the true cost of running the project.
Summary of decisions
Large “Open” sign
- Pat has asked Eve to create the large sign, and we await design and costing.
- Barbara would like a sign to have space to place a standard large sheet of paper eg A2 or A1, for notice of events
- Claire raised the issue. Pat suggested that the decision had been made to have Aims and Objectives rather than a Constitution, and this was in place. This met the Co‐Op requirements for funding.
- Clare pointed to a “jobbing Constitution” in the Transition Network folder, for use if needed. No Further Action.
Social Gathering 16th March
- The Education Group is meeting on Thursday to develop some games to play during the evening.
- There will be no live music, but a CD player.
- It was agreed for Adriana to buy £30 of Fair Trade wine for early reimbursement, with Jeremy under‐writing the amount (due to someconcerns about Transition funding alcoholic drinks). Transition members are bringing snack food for the evening.
Tim Francis is running films on Tuesday nights from 20th March. Action: Pat will e‐mail to TP mailing list. Colin questioned the level of publicity. Tim has a series of films to show and is receptive to suggestions. He has also made some films and would want to show them, and will circulate events to his network of people. Barbara will put schedule of films on the TP website. She reported that the Transition 2 film is soon available to show, at a cost of £50 to the Transition Network.
- 2pm Saturday 18th March, upstairs at 171 Armada Way.
- Action: Tony will send Pat the leaflet for circulation.
Renewable Energies Conference (REC Connect)
- in Torquay 30th March.
- Action: the meeting agreed to fund transport for people who want to go, providing they produce a feedback report for the Planning Group.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, Healthy Planet
Talk by Bertie on Saturday 27th April at 171 – early evening.
Tar Free City Initiative
- Clare suggested support for this initiative, with a TP Stall in the City Centre.
- Colin said the central issue is addiction to oil, not just its extraction, and TP should be promoting a future free from fossil fuels.
- Action: Claire agreed to research procedures and cost of having a stall.
Food Group Event: 18th April – “Raw Food Talk and Taste” event
at 171 7‐9pm.
Plymouth City Council Consultation on “Low Carbon Framework”
Pat to circulate details.
Sunday Walk 11th March
17 people joined the TP walk through Hardwick Woods in Plympton. Janice reported a lovely day, with storm kettles to make nettle tea. Thanks were offered to the Food Group.
Hinkley Mass Blockade 10‐11th March
Tony and Jeremy attended.
South West Against Nuclear
reported more than 1,000 protesters, but Tony felt there were fewer. There were good speeches by Jonathan Porrit, Kate Hudson and others, but it felt largely a gathering of the dedicated with a high moral message. He was concerned that many of the political and socio‐economic arguments were not clearly put, raising his concern for the apparent lack of public concern about new nuclear. The previous Friday’s BBC Newsnight had seen the SWAN representative put‐down by George Monbiot and a rightwinger who teamed together to argue for nuclear as a renewable. There is a terrible confusion in the Environment Movement, which contains a broad church from far left to extreme ng
individuals, and we have not started to win the argument about the politics of nuclear power. In his view nuclear is a blank cheque from the tax‐payer to private corporations to create millennia of lie threatening pollution. Colin proposed a public meeting hosted by Transition Plymouth to raise public awareness. He explained that the Plymouth University has signed the Earth Charter which includes opposition to nuclear weapons. Janice suggested Tony should speak at the meeting. It was agreed that Tony will organise the meeting.
Felt tip Pens for Agenda Board
Barbara agreed to buy them.
- Monday 2nd April, 5:30pm
- Monday 23rd April, 5:30
Any Other Business
Health & Welfare page: Barbara asked for clarification about advertising small businesses on our website. Colin suggested publicising environmentally progressive local small businesses is not a problem. Tony suggested we should not be promoting corporations and big business as they are using cynical methods of false support for the environment to promote false green initiatives, e.g. the coming “Climate Week” sponsored internationally by EDF and Nissan! The meeting agreed that Barbara can continue to publicise local small environmental initiatives.
Bus Fare Increases Campaign
Tony explained the 60% increase in bus fees in Plymouth, from 1st April, representing a huge challenge to the lower paid and a barrier to greater use of public transport. He proposed a public campaign of opposition, to be organised through the Climate Council. The meeting agreed TP should support this campaign, through the TP Transport Group, and offer use of 171 under our banner.
The meeting closed at 7:20.
20 February 2012
Clare Hamon, Barbara Hampson, Janice Lyons, Colin Trier, Adriana, Tony Staunton, Jeremy Guise, Pat Bushell, Dorothea Orme
Adriana opens the meeting with the suggestion of an alternative to RC sessions. We agree to try this. The stories are from the Latin American humanist movement. Adriana gives us a choice of 4 different titles and we agree on one that is 'challenging'. After the story, we all give very differing accounts on our feelings/how it affected us. It was an interesting and successful start to the meeting.
Clare offers to facilitate the meeting:
Food at Events:
Adriana begins by saying that although she wants to be fair to everyone, she talks about the impact of animal farming on climate change and on a personal level and feels the impact of the meat industry has a devastating effect on the planet through the methane created by the animals. She said that the meat industry is responsible for 18% of emissions. Adriana proposed that we should only bring Vegan Food to Transition events and to ask people to bring vegan food to share.
Pat asked if this also applied to the Food Group or events only.
Barbara says that you can't separate the two as the food group is also part of Transition and has been the most successful group within it.
Colin said he thinks that it would be unhelpful if the Food Group and the Planning group had different views on this. Colin said he recalled us discussing this at a previous meeting where we agreed to ask for Healthy Food rather than Vegan food.
Pat said it was at a meeting for the opening party group.
Colin said that it was definitely a planning group meeting.
Dorothea confirmed that it was indeed at a planning meeting and we had agreed on asking people for healthy food rather than Vegan.
Tony also recalled this being discussed at a planning meeting . Tony said that he agreed that people should be given a choice.
Barbara said that some people have the opinion that vegans think they are superior to meat eaters and vegetarians.
Colin said that British meat production was not as unethical as the US and Argentina. Tony suggested that to be fair to everyone, we could vary between, vegetarian, vegan and healthy food at events. Sometimes a mix even/broad food approach.
Adriana said that it was hard for her to accept the broad food approach suggested by Colin and to accept that Transition can have meat at their events. She also said that she read in the Transition Plymouth Facebook page that there was a post about rabbits being a sustainable source of protein and found this unacceptable. Adriana said that during her time with the different environmental and climate change people did not find it a problem to just have vegan food at events. She understands that TP needs a gentle approach and to have vegetarian, not necessarily vegan food would be enough.
Janice agreed with the broader approach and suggested we place cards by food stating what the food contained/whether is was vegan/vegetarian/meat.
Jeremy said that while he was happy to support displaying leaflets on intensive meat farming, he is a meat eater and thinks that people should be able to eat whatever they wish. He didn't think is was a good idea for people to feel uncomfortable for wanting To bring food that contained meat or vegetarian food.
Pat said that her Jewish friends can only eat meat killed in a religious way. Although they are meat eaters they would eat vegetarian/vegan food instead. She said that same applied to Muslims. Pat said that at a wedding she attended, the vegetarian food went before the food containing meat.
Adriana disagreed with Jeremy about making people feel uncomfortable bringing food which was vegetarian or contained meat based on her experience of events in Plymouth.
Colin said that he had also seen articles on rabbits being the most sustainable form of protein and that small animals that ate grass would definitely be the preferred protein for the future. Colin says that meat prices are too low and he is against mass production of meat from US etc.
Dorothea said that she ate a variety of different foods, and whilst meat was probably in less than half the meals she cooked, she was not happy to be told what she could and could not bring to an event. Dorothea said that she also disliked intensive meat farming and chicken farming in particular as the conditions they are kept in are horrific. Dorothea said that chickens were once a luxury and now all she sees is chicken sold everywhere. She disagreed that there was a negative feeling towards vegans.
Colin was concerned by the implications that could result from having an edict that said we would not allow anything except vegan food at events.
Barbara said that she was more concerned about keeping food local, and respecting existing sustainable land use. She thought that a lot of the foods vegans used were not necessarily environmentally sensitive. She said that some vegan ingredients have been imported from countries thousands of miles away.
Adriana disagreed with Colin's concerns about there being an edict on vegan only food, and said she was not telling people to only eat vegan food, but just for events only. Adriana also said she was not telling the food group to only prepare vegan food, just about food at events.
Barbara said that there should not be any difference between the food group and the Transition events.
It becomes a bit heated at this point and Clare calls the meeting to order.
Clare said that the food group is successful and should continue as they have done. Clare then wanted to know if people were happy that only vegan food was provided/served at Planning group events. The group was divided on this.
Dorothea said that vegan food was not a planning group matter and Planning Group events should not just contain vegan food. Dorothea said that as a grass root s group we should be welcoming more people, not alienating them because of their diet choices.
Jeremy agreed that meat production needed to be reduced, but it was not fair to say no to foods containing meat. It should be fair to all.
Adriana disagreed with Jeremy.
Colin said that this has caused conflict and tension within the planning group and food is a very personal decision. We should go forward together, despite not reaching a decision on this.
Tony used the analogy that it was the same as telling people they couldn't use cars to travel to meetings/events or even give up private car use altogether. Tony said that the demand for vegan and vegetarian food is very low, like the demand for a good public transport system. There is not an alternative.
Clare said that we should wrap up this discussion and move on to other items on the agenda as we have not reached consensus.
Pat said that nobody said people can't eat meat at home.
Colin said that the next social event could be vegetarian.
Pat and Adriana comfirmed that they are organising the next social event.
Logo on website
Barbara said that she did not consider it necessary to have the logo on every page of the website and preferred to continue using changing artwork/photos as headings for each page.
Dorothea said she did not like the logo and felt we needed something sharper that gave a more professional look to Transition Plymouth. She also said that she liked the way Barbara had designedwebsite.
Janice said that she agreed that the logo needed to be sharper and more professional.She suggested Dorothea bring in some new artwork for everyone to look at.
Adriana asked if we had seen Transition Exeter's logo, and that is was just a mass of scribbles and they were a very successful transition group.
Colin said that he thought Barbara was doing an excellent job at keeping the website updated and he thought that was more important in his opinion.
Clare also asks if Dorothea could bring in some artwork for the logo and Dorothea agrees to bring them to the next meeting.
Clare asked if everyone was happy for the TP Banner to go to the Anti-Nuclear Demo on March 10th-11th ? Everyone was agreed on this.
Tony added that he was arranging transport for this and if you are able to support the demo details are available on http://www.plymouthaction.org
Tony proposed that the Planning Group be happy to accept events at 171 if no one disagrees when to it by email/phone. Everyone agrees.
Colin said that he thought it would be a good idea that HP are given a list of events that we have at 171.
Adriana says Tim Francis wants to set up film nights on ecological and sustainable subjects. The film themes will be similar to Transition Plymouth. She said she knew Tim Francis well and so did Dorothea and he was a good person. Adriana suggests it come under the Arts Group projects. We all agree.
After School Group
Pat says that a woman spoke to her about opening an after school group at 171 and as would be commercial HP are unlikely to agree. Additionally, she wanted to organise a children's theatre group with a performance at the end of each term, this would be unpaid.
Adriana said the afterschool group should not be considered if it is commercial. She disagreed with charging children for using the space.
Dorothea says that children should not be on the premises without adults as our insurance would not cover this and plus the facilities are not suitable for a childcare centre. She confirmed that children should not be at 171 unaccompanied by parents/carers.
Tony also agreed with Dorothea on this
Jeremy asked if we should be too concerned about the occasional event that suggested donations. We didn't come to a decision on this as we digressed to fund raising events at a venue.
Janice said that as it was commercial we should draw a line to it.
Pat said the woman was more interested in using the space for performances.
Barbara said it was not a particularly good performance space.
Colin said that HP did not want to give unfair advantage to commercial events that may upset businesses.
Adriana said that U:1 would like to do an Art Installation in one of the front windows and that this would be in the spirit of Transition. Everyone agreed as long as we are given a more concrete proposal and a clear plan of what they would like to install.
Tony made the proposal for a men's survival group who want to perform as a Theatre Group and need space for rehearsing. These are men who have survived child sex abuse and are moving on.
We all agree as long as they do the paperwork and Adriana suggested it came under the Arts Group.
Campaign by Caravan
Tony told us about a Climate Change campaign that is touring the country by caravan and asked if it would be ok for them to use 171 when they are in Plymouth. He said that it would be a public event and that HP are happy about Climate Change public events.
Barbara suggested that we keep a record of how many people attend events etc at 171 so we can gauge the attendance. Numbers can be put in the diary alongside the booking details.
Talk by Berty
Berty wants to do a talk at 171 about Healthy Eating, Diets, etc. Everyone agrees to this.
Pat said that Green Events are happy to advertise any events for us. She said that the response so far to events at 171 have been disappointing.
Clare asked how we could let people know about what was happening at 171. Clare also asked how we should inform parents/carers of children that they are responsible for their child's safety and care whilst they are at 171. Dorothea said that the windows were a prime position and the footfall was excellent...so a large list of forthcoming events in the window would let people know about the forthcoming events. Clare asked if Dorothea was happy to take charge of the events board and she agreed.
Dorothea suggested that we put a footnote on promotional leaflets using the words: Transition Plymouth is 'Family Friendly' and children are very welcome. Please note: Parents/Carers are responsible for the care and safety of their children at all times. This was agreed.
Colin said that he does not have up to date details of the accounts but will do this in time for the next meeting.
Adriana said she would like to organise a benefit gig to raise funds. Tony said he would approach Voodoo lounge for dates. Barbara said that the Food Group are thinking of holding an event at Freedom Fields to raise funds and is planning to hold an Acoustic night at the event.
Jeremy asked if we had bills to pay. None were mentioned.
Adriana asked if she could approach Lush for a grant to raise more funds. We agreed.
Clare asked about the proposed pavement sign and whether we needed Planning Permission for this. Tony said that Planning Permission was required if the sign was placed on the public walkway but not if it was placed on the raised grassed bed.
Pat said it would be painted MDF and Tony said that this was not a suitable material as it would not last outdoors. Tony suggested they used Plywood as it was suitable for signs. Dorothea said that it should be Marine Plywood as it is suitable for wet conditions. Pat said she would speak with the signmaker.
Info Circulated Between Meetings
Clare said that these included information that people wanted to make clear between meetings. Tony suggested that we put a note giving people the option to unsubscribe to emails that they were not interested in receiving. Colin said he would prefer to have several emails at one time rather that being bombarded with lots of separate emails and could we be careful about the volume of stuff we send via email. Barbara suggested having separate e-mail lists for people to only to receive e-mails on topics they are interested in. Dorothea said she did not want to receive lots of emails about things like toilet cleaners, tea towels and hand towels. She suggested writing notes about any queries on notes/boards in the kitchen. Adriana said that these practical issues needed to be dealt with. Colin suggested we have a 'Virtual Group' who are happy to deal with these queries. This was agreed. Tony, Colin and Pat volunteered.
Clare said there had been emails that caused concern and that it can be harmful if we send such emails. Dorothea did not agree that it was harmful and preferred to be direct. It was agreed that we should be respectful in e-mails.
Clare said that we need a volunteer to inform HP of forthcoming events. Tony said that he would do this.
- Tuesday 13th March 5.30 pm
- Monday 2nd April 5.30 pm